Monday, October 8, 2007

Happy Fall!

Today we had fun painting pumpkins and decorating for fall! I love fall decorations, it's my favorite season. I love the fall clothes too, because they cover up most of my pale white skin which is in my best interest! It's just a lovely time of year.
Jonah and I spent all of Caleb's morning nap time decorating our pumpkins. We had a good time, although I would not say it was a relaxing activity. Trying to keep a three year old from painting your whole kitchen table along with the pumpkin is almost impossible. Jonah just kept saying, "It's fun to get messy Mom". I guess I forget that sometimes. Probably because I'm constantly cleaning up "messy" all over my house about 16 hours a day and that is definitely not fun! I'm not bitter though, can you tell? Sometimes the whole cycle of it all kinda gets to you and you just think there's gotta be a better way than this. I guess it's just part of the whole motherhood thing, just some days it's a little easier to accept that role than others. I am trying to teach Jonah to do his part too, but there's just only so much a 3 year old can do. I think Caleb contributes as much to the mess as Jonah now, maybe more!
Speaking of the little one - Saturday night we were telling stories before bed. We all gather on Jonah's bed and I read a book, and Daddy tells an elaborate story. I've tried stories when Daddy wasn't there, but they just didn't seem to have the same flair. Jonah has even told me very sweetly, "You can just read the book, Mom". (A child's honesty is always humbling!) Well, while Daddy was telling his story, Caleb was trying to touch this nightlight that he knows is a "No touch". After several times of "No" and spatting his hand, I finally felt like my point was getting across! I was feeling confident in my parenting skills, when I looked over and with a sly little grin, looking me straight in the eye- Caleb lifted up his foot to touch the nightlight! ... so innocent, yet so rebellious all in one - go figure?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can’t stop laughing about Caleb’s defiant little foot, and that smile. He must get that from your side of the family. I know the constant cleaning is so monotonous and you feel like screaming at times if you see one more spill, or one more pair of dirty socks on the floor. It gets better, I promise. The spills get less and the socks get bigger.

Erin said...

I KNOW what you mean. I feel like that little boy who is throwing the starfish one by one back into the ocean, only to have them crawl back out again. Never ending task.

Mama Gina said...

Hey Jonah! Papa John and I love your pumpkins. What a good painter you are!

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
I told Grackle of Caleb's little grin and foot, and he said "a preview of things to come." LOL
Personally,I think it shows a
remarkable intelligence and the
ability to achieve.:)
Jonah does a great job painting
pumkins!
I certainly relate to fall clothing and white skin. Love, GG