Thursday, November 20, 2008

An Interesting Thought?

The other Sunday after church Jonah was sitting in the car with Tootsie and me. He was just sitting there thinking, and all of a sudden he says, "Since God can do anything, why does God need us to give Him money?" What a simple, but profound thought? I think too many times, we give our money or time or talents, in an attitude that we are giving it because God needs it or wants it. I think we miss out when we think of it that way. Don't get me wrong, God's desire is for us to give Him our all and to obey when He says to give something of ourselves. But - it should be more about our love and desire to please the Lord and give back to Him, than about what God "needs" us to do! I've been amazed by the way God has provided for so many things in our life lately. Isn't it just so wonderful how He surprisingly provides in so many ways, that sometimes we don't even recognize?! Sometimes I am afraid to ask God for things in my life, because I'm afraid He won't answer it the way I want and I'll be disappointed! I like to play it safe. I hate that about myself. It's funny because Adam and I are so opposite on this issue. I'm so afraid to be disappointed or hurt by people or even by God, that I just take a step back and take the safe route sometimes! I know that's not right, but it's the way I survive I guess? Really when you get to the root of it all, pretty much I'm saying by my actions that I don't believe that God knows what's best for me or trust Him! Shame on me! But I'm writing this blog to say that I want to boldly pray for a few things in our lives right now and believe that whatever the outcome that God is still on his throne and I trust Him!
  • That God would raise up some solid men as leaders in our church to assist in the physical and spiritual needs of our growing church! And that our church would grow and deepen spiritually.
  • That God would bless our school, Forerunner Christian Academy, to grow the number of students and deeply committed teachers and parents. Mostly that God would provide more steady financial support, so that the school could fulfill the dreams that the Lord has placed in their hearts. Thank you Lord for answering our prayer and providing such a wonderful school!
  • That God would provide a boy for Jonah's class at school, to be a good friend and playmate for Jonah. (right now it's all girls)
  • That God would help us stay healthy in the next few months and not have any serious medical issues (we've had hospital visits for the last two years)

Amen.

3 comments:

Momma B. said...

I do the same thing. I tell myself that I would rather be surprised than ask when really I just don't want to be disappointed. So I set my desires and standards low. What kind of faith is that? God has been leading me to ask for my hearts desires and also ask that my heart desire Christ! Thanks for the timely reminder!

Anonymous said...

In the name of Jesus, so be it, Mandy.

When I was raising Adam and Collin, I always felt so blessed by them that I would feel guilty to ask for anything else in my life, so I never received all of God's beautiful and bountiful blessings in my life. I still have that in me and don't like it one bit because it says I don't deserve what God wants to give to me. The fact is, I don't deserve, but God's love is so great, He wants to give to his children all they need and to prosper.

Maybe part of my lesson at this late stage in life is to learn and accept the bounty God wants to give to me, it is only for the asking and believing. I don't have a problem with doing that for other people, just myself.

I love you precious girl,
Barbaraa

Anonymous said...

What's the matter Mandy? Are you busy these days? I finally get a computer and then I don't get to read anything. I can't imagine why you don't have time to write on your blog. :)

Our babies are so adorable. I keep holding the thought in my head about Jonah and Caleb lying on the massage table and how they loved it. If I would have been feeling better, I could have had them alseep in no time. By the way, that Almond Oil was 100% almond oil but that scared me to death that I did not think of that before you. In my haze of pain and medicine, it snapped me out of it fast, it frightened me so badly to think I did not check that before I was about to try it. I know Adam would have loved it, but I didn't have it in me to give him a massage. Maybe next time I will be feeling better.

Hope everyone is doing great. I love all of you precious babies.
Tootsie