Friday, May 29, 2009

Thoughts

It's funny how at the weirdest times you can have a profound thought or just have a burning desire to share something the Lord has laid on your heart. I was washing dishes and felt a need to share... Adam and I were talking the other day about spending time with the Lord. We were discussing how hard it is as parents of young children to find that time alone or quiet to spend with the Lord. I realized something that day - for me, some of my best times with the Lord have not been in a quiet closet completely silent with all the right conditions. In fact, it's quite the opposite. They are usually in the midst of it all - washing dishes, doing laundry, driving in the car - or a combination of all three (okay, maybe not but you get the picture). As a follower of Christ I have spent way too much time making excuses for why I can't be obedient to Christ. "I'm too tired" "I don't have time" "I have to take care of kids" "I have to work" "I just don't feel like it"... and the list could go on. I've also spent a lot of time feeling guilty because I couldn't create those "quiet time" conditions that day. If we wait for those perfect moments, this imperfect life may just pass by and we'll wonder how we missed it. I think sometimes we don't hear what God is trying to tell us, because we are too busy thinking about how we don't have time to spend alone time with God. Compare it to your relationship with your spouse - if we just wait for those perfect date moments -when there are no kids, candlelight, and spaghetti noodles connected between our lips (a little reference to my favorite movie "Lady and the Tramp) - to connect with our spouse then they may be few and far between. Yes, we should definitely create time for those moments, don't get me wrong - but that is not the only way you can grow deeper in a relationship. Some of Adam and my best talks and deepening moments have been when everything seems to be falling in on us - kids have driven us crazy for hours, the floors are covered in toys and leftover dinner, our nerves are on edge, and we're definitely not gazing into one another's eyes. It's not a breathtaking moment, it's real life - and through real communication and sometimes heart-wrenching conversation a new part of ourselves is revealed in some way.
I guess what I'm trying to say (especially to myself) is to look for God in those "inopportune" times. Pour your heart to Him in those real-life moments, because He cares about ALL the little details. Look for Him all around You, He's there. Listen all around You, He's there. Don't wait for the perfect moment when you have your highlighter, bible, journal, and bible study material all neatly lined up - you're relationship is real all the time - not just in your prayer closet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy, what you say is so true. And even when the kids are grown and gone, there will still be hectic times that could be used as
excuses for not being close to God. I believe that it is possible to carry "awareness of God" at all times. That includes short prayers of thanksgiving, asking for guidance, and a lot of listening to His guidance...which is forever present. I think the small still voice that is constantly available to us is God's presence (His spirit). In other words, prayer doesn't have to be a formal time and way.
God bless you this day sweet
granddaughter. Love,
Ganmama

Barbara said...

I totally agree with you Mandy. And my interpretation of God's Word in saying, "Pray without ceasing," is exactly what you are talking about.

One thing and one of the only things good about my tendancy to be an early riser is it has given me that quiet time. Something I dont' think I could have made it through some days without. Maybe God thinks I need a little more prayer time than others, so He nudges me to be an early riser.

Just talking to God throughout the day is so helpful and allowing Him into our day to day activity is what I believe He wants from us. And I really have always thought of that scripture exactly as you describe it.
Love,
Barb