Friday, June 26, 2009

Veggies and Vacation



Here's our first zucchini from the Barker family garden. Jonah was so proud - he just kept running around and saying "We're gonna eat it!, We're gonna eat it!". We fried this zucchini up that night and Jonah and Caleb gobbled it up. It's amazing how much better vegetables taste when they are fresh like that... One look at their faces and you can see how hot it was outside!





We went on a little mini vacation on Sunday - Tuesday to Glen Rose Texas. We went with some of our very good friends here in Bonham. Up above is a picture of the boys doing the fossil dig at Dinosaur World.
He doesn't look too concerned about being swallowed by a T-Rex!





Help!!!!




From left to Right top: Jonah, Adam, Michael, Caleb, Cameron, Mandy, Elizabeth, Hannah, Olivia
We call it our Bebarkation! (Bebers and Barkers)


Fossil Rim Wildlife Park in Glen Rose. This is our second time to visit and it is so awesome! I would recommend going at a cooler time of year, but it was still so much fun! The giraffe eats right out of your hand!



Funny story with this one - The ostriches were very aggressive. They would take your bag of food if you had it in plain sight. Adam was feeding one ostrich through the driver side window, while Jonah, Caleb and I were watching intently...I looked over and there was an ostrich staring at me about 2 inches from my face. Needless to say, I screamed and grabbed onto Adam (while Caleb is just sitting there staring at our very close animal friend). I kept screaming because the ostrich just kept coming inside the window. Adam was having the best time watching me scream and be terrified that he was going to bite me or something. Looking back it was a little dramatic, but it's how I felt at the time!...So I kept telling Adam to roll up my window, because he has controls to my window on his side. He just kept laughing, and I kept screaming "Roll up the window!"...Finally, I decided he was having too much fun and he was not listening to my request so I resorted to violence! My instant reaction since my head was buried in his chest was to grab his nipple and twist it so he would know I was serious! I know, I'm awful. He still thought that was funny too...eventually he did close the window. I think he would do it all over again, just to watch me act like a crazy person...and just so you know no one was seriously injured in the process of our vacation!!



Isn't this little baby zebra cute!?


Caleb & Jonah brushing the goats at the Petting zoo at Fossil Rim. Hannah and I watching!
Adam and I posing with the dinosaurs at Dinosaur World. It was probably 103 degrees out there - we did a double time tour of Dinosaur World!



Okay, this is how close the animals get to you at Fossil Rim. This Zebra kept trying to eat our windshield wiper controls! Slobber, slobber everywhere!


Ejoying the animals at Fossil Rim: Mom, Caleb, & Jonah




Relaxing in the pool with the Bebers! Hannah loved her first experience in a pool. I think she could have stayed out there all day! Jonah is getting really good swimming. By the end of the trip he was jumping and swimming under water. He was so proud. Caleb is also a pretty good little swimmer. He is fearless - age 2 and fearless is not a good combination at the pool!




All our sweet kids - Jonah, Caleb, Cameron, Hannah, and Olivia
Enjoying our giant hotel rooms. These were the best hotel rooms, because we each had a separate bedroom and giant living area, so we could put the kids to bed and then the adults could hang out and play games. Fun times!
By the way - Caleb is getting very close to being fully potty-trained! Hooray! I've been begging him for 3 months to do this and he was not having it. A few days ago he just went in the bathroom by himself and went! Ever since he's been doing great, not perfect, but great. We even filled up his potty chart with stickers and went to Chuck E Cheese yesterday! Diaper bill dropping as we speak!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy that you had a little
vacation. I know the kids really
enjoyed seeing all the animals.
Did the ostrich incident trigger
Adam's memory of the time I took
him to a wild animal place somewhere around Dallas? He was
5 yrs. old and my birthday present
was to fly him to Dallas for two
days of Six Flags and the animal
place. As we were stopped and
looking at something in the distance, I saw an ostrich head in
my rear view mirrow. (He had his head in the window and right behind my head) I streamed
and jumped all the way over to Adam's side. He laughed all day about that...so he still enjoys
seeing women react to ostrich's
heads joining people in the car.

Hope everyone is doing great and
it sounds like you are. The zucini story is great. All kinds
of squash are good producers in a
garden, and always delicious.
congratulations on your farming
efforts. Love to all,
Ganmama/GG

Tootsie said...

Yes, it did trigger Adam's memory. I didn't know exactly what happened but Adam said the identical thing happened to Mandy that happened to you, GG. He's always gotten tickled about that.

Gosh, the boys look so hot with their precious squash. It really is neat to have a garden and makes your food bill in the winter go way down if you have enough to freeze. You can freeze so much now, used to, you had to can it and it was a job and a half.

Sounds like y'all had a great mini vacation and I know how busy you have been and how much you deserve it. Good for all of you! That's what I like to see, taking time for yourselves because the rest of the world will still be there when you get back. Family is important and even though Hannah won't remember it, she will remember the love.

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all. Don't forget your swim suits.